Thursday, July 19, 2007

Tucker and Hillary

I have written previously about Tucker Carlson's embarrassing admission that Hillary Clinton makes him feel emasculated. In March, Carlson actually invoked the C-word to describe the effect that Hillary has on his sense of his own manhood.

In searching for a pithy commentary on the mashup of Apple's famous "1984" ad, that presents Hillary Clinton as Big Sister, Tucker reached for the C-word. No, that that C-word. The other one.

    "I mean, you've gotta admit, when you watch that, it does get right to heart of people's instinctive problems with Hillary, which don't have to do with policy. It's not like Hillary is some communist or something. You know what I mean? She's no more liberal than [Sen.] Barack Obama [D-IL]. She's more conservative probably in some ways. But there's just something about her that feels castrating, overbearing, and scary."
Castrating, overbearing, and scary.

It turns out that was not hyperbole. When Carlson says that Hillary Clinton makes him fear for his masculinity, he seems to really mean it. Via Digby, he re-emphasized the point recently on his MSNBC program:

Rarely do you see the poor lil' conservo-dudes expose their insecurities so obviously --- and with so little self-awareness:

    GEIST: Well, I think the metaphor in this next story, Tucker, is pretty clear. So I will just report the straight facts. The newest collector's item on the presidential campaign trail is a Hillary Clinton nutcracker. They're going like hot cakes in Rochester, Minnesota, where the idea for the nutcracker was hatched.

    It's a Hillary doll with serrated stainless steel thighs that, well, crack nuts. If you can't make to it Minnesota to pick one up, you can go to HillaryNutcracker.com and that could be yours for the low, low price of $19.95. They'll also throw in a bag of Hillary nuts for five bucks. Now, I don't know what they're getting at here, Tucker. What do you think they're saying about Hillary?

    CARLSON: I don't know, but that is so perfect. I have often said, when she comes on television, I involuntarily cross my legs.

    GEIST: I know you do.

    CARLSON: I'm getting one, by the way
I don't even want to think about what he's going to do with it. He's very confused.
Actually, I don't think Tucker is confused at all. I think he is being very honest about his feelings. There is something about Hillary Clinton that makes him uncertain about his manhood. He keeps saying it over and over again, so I am inclined to take him at his word. I am embarrassed for him, but I believe him.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty pathetic alright, not to mention chauvinist. It takes a small man to be afraid of a great candidate for President just because she's a woman.