Thursday, August 21, 2008

It is time for Democrats to stop saying nice things about John McCain, Pt II

When Bill Clinton praised John McCain's commitment to stopping global warming a few days ago, I wrote:

Stop saying nice things about John McCain. There are enough Republicans and news analysts who are only too happy to praise his military service and promote the fiction that he is a bipartisan "maverick." They don't need any help from people who are supposed to be working to put a Democrat in the White House.
I don't know what is so complicated about that. It seems pretty basic to me. If Democrats want to win the White House in November, it is not a good idea to praise the guy who is trying to keep them from doing it.

But some Democrats just don't seem to understand the concept of winning elections by presenting their side as the only acceptable choice.

On the same day the DNC is sending out messages criticizing McCain's volatile temper, Daschle and Feingold totally undercut that very argument. Not to mention, it's one of our strongest arguments against McCain, and Daschle and Feingold are busy whoring for jobs in the next McCain administration.

    KING (voice-over): Daschle describes McCain as emotional, visceral, yet distances himself from Democrats who say McCain is too volatile.

    DASCHLE: I'm not saying I'm right. All I'm saying is I don't view it as a -- as a problem.

    SEN. RUSS FEINGOLD (D), WISCONSIN: I'm for Barack Obama for president. And I think he has a perfect temperament to be president of the United States. But even though I feel strongly about that, I can't sit here and say that John McCain doesn't have the temperament to be the president of the United States. I frankly think he does. And I think he'd be a good president....

    KING (voice-over): Maverick was the label more and more attached to McCain. And he liked it.

    FEINGOLD: I think he's essentially an Independent who wants to call them as he sees them. I think modus operandi is to say here's a problem, what can we do to fix it?
It's time that Senators Daschle and Feingold were told to STFU or pay a serious price for supporting the enemy. Daschle screwed up, maybe he was tired, but Feingold - good God, why don't you just get on stage alongside Joe Lieberman at the GOP convention, if you like McCain so much, Senator.
I cannot figure out why Democrats are so afraid to say that John McCain is a bad guy, and that he would make a bad president. But if they really cannot bring themselves to point that out, they are going to find out just how bad a president McCain can be.

blog comments powered by Disqus