Thursday, June 26, 2008

Um... how about a 'no'?

Former Bush Justice Department lawyer John Yoo is unwilling to say that the president doesn't have the authority to order someone buried alive.



Conyers: Could the President order a suspect buried alive?

Yoo: Uh, Mr. Chairman, I don't think I've ever given advice that the President could order someone buried alive. . .

Conyers: I didn't ask you if you ever gave him advice. I asked you thought the President could order a suspect buried alive.

Yoo: Well Chairman, my view right now is that I don't think a President . . . no American President would ever have to order that or feel it necessary to order that.
You wouldn't think that a lawyer, even a former Bush lawyer, would have to finesse the response to such a question.

Some questions clearly lend themselves to a simple "yes" or "no."

Whether the president has the authority to bury people alive used to be one of them.

blog comments powered by Disqus