Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ted Haggard 2.0 - 'Heterosexual, but with issues'

Ted Haggard, the disgraced former mega-church pastor whose ministry collapsed amid allegations of gay sex and drug use, says he's not bi-sexual.

He is "heterosexual, but with issues."

"It is a sad story," he said. "I made myself sad; I made everybody that loves me sad."

Since Mike Jones, a male prostitute in Denver, exposed Haggard as a regular client, "my process has been very complex and very confusing." After much therapy and prayer, he does not think of himself as bisexual, Haggard said.

"I think of myself as a heterosexual but with issues," he said. "Those labels just don't work, and from the research, they don't work for most people. The boxes don't work for me," he said.

"People are people. We're a mess."
I wonder why Haggard limits the "boxes" to bisexual or heterosexual-with-issues. There is, after all, another option. His sexual attraction to men could mean that he is gay.

Ted Haggard certainly wouldn't be the first gay man who married a woman due mostly to the pressure of living in a culture that literally demonizes homosexuality.

That qualifies as an "issue," but it also dances around the, um, issue.

You'd think the reporter would have followed up with a question about that.

[h/t Andrew Sullivan]

blog comments powered by Disqus