Wednesday, October 08, 2008

McCain's 'Folks' Ad - Huh?

Is John McCain still trying to win this election, or has he decided that Obama really is the better man?

This ad makes me wonder.



ANNOUNCER:

    Who is Barack Obama?

    The National Journal says he’s the senate’s most liberal. How extreme.

    But when pressed, how does he defend himself?
[OBAMA]

    “They’re not tellin’ the truth!”

    “I hate to say that people are lying, but here’s a situation where folks are lying.”
ANNOUNCER:

    Mr. Obama, we all know the truth.
[OBAMA]

    “Folks are lying.”

    “Folks are lying.”
ANNOUNCER:

    Not presidential.
[MCCAIN]

    I’m John McCain, and I approve this message.
Um... what?

Maybe letting your opponent call you a liar in your own ad and leaving the assertion completely unchallenged is a winning strategy, and I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate its brilliance. I am willing to allow for that possiblity.

And maybe repeating the hoary old "most liberal" accusation is an effective substitute for making a positive case for yourself. Again, anything is possible.

But to me, this ad, from its content to its production values, isn't fit for a village constable's race, much less a presidential campaign.

Has McCain given up?

blog comments powered by Disqus