Monday, November 28, 2005

Maron Leaving Air America - RIP, Morning Sedition

It's official. Marc Maron announced this morning that his last day on Air America's "Morning Sedition" will be December 15th. Maron's co-host Mark Reilly will go solo with a show from 5-7 a.m. (EST, presumably) with Rachel Maddow on the air from 7-9. "Morning Sedition" will cease to exist.

Here are Maron's remarks:

"They are offering me to do a show in Los Angeles at night for an hour or two and we're negotiating that. That is the deal that is going on now, but Morning Sedition will be no longer after December 15th, I guess is my last day, and the comedy will be gone. The scripted comedy will be gone.

What's going to be here now? Mark Reilly, who a lot of people were wondering, you know, 'why isn't he chiming in when Marc is complaining about the future of the show,' well, Mark was, you know, laying back and letting me have my own feelings because his job wasn't at stake. He's going to be here from 5 to 7 on weekday mornings and Rachel is going to be on from 7 to 9. I don't know what those shows are going to be called or what structure they're going to be in. All I know is, I will not be here and Morning Sedition will not be here."
I will miss Morning Sedition. Marc Maron carried the show. Not to slight Mark Reilly, but I was far less likely to listen when Reilly was on solo. He is a solid broadcaster, but Maron has real talent. In fact, Maron is one of the sharpest wits anywhere on the radio dial. How that translates into AAR wanting to get rid of him, I have no idea.

I hope Maron gets a good deal with the nighttime show in L.A.

1 comments:

Carl said...

Maron was a bad fit for the morning on talk radio. I suspect the original intent of Sedition was to compete with the "wacky morning drive time" radio programming, but I'm pretty sure that was a mistake, full stop.

He's a great radio personality, and I hope they can find a spot for him in the line up.